Everything you want to know about flowers!
Ask the Expert: is a peace lily poisonous to cats
i think my son’s cat ate the tips of the leaves of my peace lily. Emily
I had a similar question a while back and the answer is yes and no. According to the ASPCA Poison Control Center, peace lilies (Spathiphyllum) can cause oral irritation, intense burning irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing. The toxic substance in a peace lily is the calcium oxalate crystals. Most animals will not ingest enough of the plant to kill them. However, the calcium oxalate crystals that are ingested can do some damage.
If you think your cat has ingested some of the peace lily, have your veterinarian check the cat out. I would suggest moving the plant to a place where the cat won’t be interested in it. If want the plant and the cat to live in harmony with each other teach the cat to stay away from the plant. aversion therapy is the best way. Every time the cat go near the plant spray it with cold water.
Thank you. Cat showing no symptoms so far — just checked on him and he is his usual curious self. All I can figure is he did not ingest enough to cause any problems. This cat in the past swallowed a needle — they had to open him up and get it out. Then 2 years ago he swallowed a piece of a Hartz cat toy and they had to open him up and get it out. As you can figure – this is one valuable cat now!
Sounds like this cat is looking for an adventure with inappropriate things. Have you try growing grass, alfalfa or catmint inside the house? These would be good things for him to chew on and very easy to grow. Just a thought that might be cheaper than the next vet bill. Good luck. Keep me posted.
Connect with Facebook
Notify me of follow-up comments by email.
Notify me of new posts by email.
Return to top of page
Copyright © 2015 · News Theme on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in