* Prices shown in US Dollars, do not include delivery charge and may vary during holidays. The color or variety of some flowers, plants and containers may be substituted due to regional or seasonal availability.
More All House Plants Choices:
▼▲View Care Information
Peace Lily Won't Bloom - What's The Deal?
Ask The Expert: What conditions does my Peace Lily need to flower? I live in Pensacola, Florida and my Peace Lily is potted and sitting in 2" of water in an out side pond that is shaded. I put it outside in the pond when I saw an indoor pond with a Peace Lily plant in a pot in 3" of water doing quite well. My plant has been outside for several months. It was in bloom when I placed it there. I am looking forward to reading your response. Thank you. Pennee
There are four things that can inhibit peace lily blooms.
1) Light is an important factor in producing blooms. Peace lilies need just the right amount of bright filtered light. In other words, deep shade won't get it. The ideal spot for an outside peace lily is where bright light can reach the plant but not directly hit or beat down on the plant. Depending on how much shade you have this is probably a contributor to the problem.
2) Humidity is needed for the overall health of the plant but it is often a reason peace lilies don't bloom. I don't think this is your problem. However, if the air in your area has been rather dry it could be a factor.
3) Fertilizer is the building block for any plant growth. Without the proper nutrients the plant can't produce blooms or leaves. Applying a well balanced fertilizer once a month will keep the plant healthy.
4) Mature plant bloom less. When peace lilies are mature or root bound they tend to bloom less. If the plant has outgrown its container, dividing it will encourage blooms.
The final thing to remember is that all plants have a natural time for blooming. Often the plants that you buy have been forced to bloom and once established in your home will revert to their natural processes. In this case the normal blooming time for peace lilies is spring and summer. So it just make take your plant a little time to produce blooms.