Orange Miniature Callas
Baby Blue Eucalyptus
* Prices shown in US Dollars, do not include delivery charge and may vary during holidays. The color or variety of some flowers, plants and containers may be substituted due to regional or seasonal availability.
▼▲View Care Information
How To Keep Stephanotis Fresh In A Bridal Bouquet
Ask the Expert: How to keep stephanotis fresh in bridal boquets
Tips For keeping cut stephanotis fresh. thanks Theda
Although I am not well versed on stephanotis, I do know this:
1. Stephanotis is a short lived cut flower and should be arranged as close to the time period needed as possible.
2. The oil on your finer tips can and will turn the blooms brown. So limit your touching or wear gloves when arranging stephanotis.
3. Bridal bouquet with stephanotis need to be misted frequently and have a damp tissue placed over the blooms.
4. Keep stephanotis bridal bouquets very cool. Warm air with accelerate the decline of the blooms.
I believe there is a special way to prep the stephanotis blooms by inserting something in the stem I will research this and discuss it with some of the designers I know and get back to you.
I spoke with Regina Berryman an AIFD floral designer about the this issue. Regina told me that Stephanotis blooms have to be prepared with a cotton tipped wire called a Stephanotis Stem.
I am attaching a picture of one that was used in a Stephanotis arrangement.
Regina said insert it into the base of the Stephanotis bloom. ***Once this is done, you take a small container filled with water and take the flower and turn it upside down and dunk it into the water. This will keep the stephanotis hydrated and the wire will allow you to place the bloom in your arrangement.Â If you need to hide the white of the stem wrap it with floral tape. *** The cotton and the wire can be trimmed on an as need basis.
You should be able to find this type of wire at one of your floral suppliers. You can also create your own with cotton and regular floral wire. I hope this helps.
If any florist has pictures of how to do this I would love to post them on this blog.
**** I spoke with Regina who clarified my explanation above. (See *** section).Â She said that trying to make your own Stephanotis Stem is not easy and buying the Stepahnotis Stems is much easier and more cost effective.Â Stemson's has a product called Stephanotis Stems.Â The stems come in white or green. The picture to left shows the Stephanotis stem as it is inserted into the Stephanotis bloom.Â