Say “Boo!” to someone special this year! Halloween is creeping ever closer. How are you celebrating this year? Treat-or-treating with the kids? Dressing up for a costume party? Or cuddling on the couch with a spooky flick? However you spend your All Hallow’s Eve, be sure to share the enchantment of one of the best holidays of the year with flowers! Florists produce all manner of holiday-themed items and Halloween is no different. From the living pumpkin vase to the eerie, spiderweb-enhanced arrangement, there is no end to the wonders they can produce. So this October 31st, remember that Halloween home decoration and setting the tone for your blow-out costume party have to start with a phone call to your local florist. Happy Halloween!
Bring On The Pink In October!
This month you might notice things turning a little more pink than usual. That’s because October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Wearing and sharing the color pink is a way to raise awareness and express moral support to women with breast cancer.
- Promote Awareness – Make a statement with pink ribbons, clothing – anything you can think of! When someone asks you “What’s with all the pink?’ you can explain that you’re choosing to bring about awareness. Because early detection saves lives!
- Celebrate Survivors – According to cancer.org, there are an estimated 2.8 million breast cancer survivors in the United States alone. Chances are you know someone who fought this disease and won! Show your support to a real life hero with Think Pink flowers this month.
Continue reading Bring On The Pink In October!
5 Floral Gift Ideas for 5 Different Boss Types
If you have a boss, and let’s be honest most of us have a boss, here are a few floral gift ideas to make your boss’s Boss’s Day a roaring success!
- The Sports Fan – If you’ve ever seen your boss sporting their favorite football team’s mascot on his tie, he may be a sports fan. Your local florist is more than aware of any local or regional sports teams and probably carries a plethora of items they could use to put together a wonderful sports-themed arrangement.
- The Workaholic – Does your boss spend long hours at the office? Is she there when you arrive and there when you leave? Then she may be a workaholic. The best gift for these dedicated employers is a potted plant!
- The Free Spirit – Does your boss regale you with stories of whitewater rafting or hiking through the Adirondacks after he returns from vacation? You could be working with a free spirit! An arrangement of seasonal flowers should provide this boss with plenty of enjoyment.
- The Nomad – This boss is regularly out of the office. She may be checking on multiple locations or meeting with important clients, but she’s rarely in one place for long. What does a flower shop have to offer her? I’m glad you asked because the answer is quite simple, a gift basket!
- The Cheerleader – “Great Job!” “I’ve got the best team in the company!” Does any of this sound familiar? If so, your boss may be a full-time cheerleader. This Boss’s Day, say it with balloons!
Continue Reading 5 Floral Gift Ideas for 5 Different Boss Types!
Facebook Friday: September Favorites
We recently started a Friday recap of all the wonderful posts and pictures from active florists on our Facebook Page. It’s been so much fun seeing all the completely different designs every day. We hope you enjoy these favorites and continue through to see more from each Friday this month:
The Flower Shop, Pryor, OK
Monday Flowers, Princeton, NJ
Designs by Sandra, Kearny, NJ
Bentley Florist, Burton, MI
Wilma’s Flowers, Jasper, AL
Cole’s Flowers Inc, Middlebury, VT
See all Facebook Recap pictures in these posts:
- Florist Friday Recap 8/31 – 9/6: A Feast for the Eyes
- Florist Friday Recap 9/7 – 9/13: Beautiful Bloom Bounty
- Florist Friday Recap 9/14 – 9/20: Accent-uate the Positive
- Florist Friday Recap 9/21 – 9/27: Fall to Bursting
- Florist Friday Recap 9/28 – 10/4: Chock Full of Floral Goodness
Passing on the Passion: Gardening and Grandparents
Jean Walker’s life is narrated by loving and trusted voices from her past. “Always plant potatoes on Good Friday,” Grandma whispers as Jean opens a sack of seed potatoes. “And don’t forget to plant marigolds around the vegetables, they keep the bugs away.” As Jean reaches for the roses, Grandpa reminds her, “Don’t forget the cow pie, Jean. For roses, a good ole cow pie is just about the best fertilizer you can have.” Read more about Passing on the Passion: Gardening and Grandparents
Your Sweetest Day Ever!
What? You don’t celebrate Sweetest Day every year? You don’t have any time-honored Sweetest Day traditions? Ok, so you wouldn’t be alone in this. This is a holiday observance that seems to be more popular in some parts of the country than others, but that’s no reason you can’t start the trend in your neck of the woods! What Sweetest Day Is All About
Read more about Your Sweetest Day Ever!
Love flowers? Follow us on the above Social Networks! We are always sharing the latest articles from our Bloomin’ Blog, as well as the most fascinating news on the net!
You Might Also Like
How To Submit Your Weekly Photos To FSN We love getting flower photos from you every week. We are so inspired with the ongoing creativity and beauty you share with us all the time. Never hesitate to show off your talent!
Maine Florists Association Convention: Fun and Family Our own Jamie Jamison Adams attended and was fortunate enough to have been invited to give a fun and informative presentation to the florists assembled. She then stepped down from the podium and joined in the festivities, and what festivities there were! From floral design contests to the Twisted Yankee Swap, there was never a dull moment.
AFA Convention: Arkansas and Mid-America Cup The Arkansas Florist Association’s 61st Annual Convention and Trade Show was held this year August 16-18 in Hot Springs, AR. Two of the major events at this convention are the Arkansas Cup and Mid-America Cup. The Mid-America Cup is a competition between winners from state-wide competitions. All winners are invited to attend, and this year the competition consisted of representatives from 14 different states!
Quick Tips: Sanitizing Those Old Vases If there’s one thing with which every florist is more than familiar, it’s a dirty vase that seems impossible to get clean. Most of the time, they come to you as part of a vase recycling or re-purposing program, and we all know how important it is to get those vases completely disinfected and sanitized. The bacteria and mildew growing in an old vase can wreak havoc on anything you might wish to place in it! But regardless of its origins, nothing is more annoying than a disgusting vase that just will not come clean! Need more inspiration? Check out our sister site, Wedding & Party Network’s weekly blog — Inspirational Fridays!
Help make Flower Shop Network‘s monthly newsletter even better! Got questions? Have an idea for a story? With your help, we can make the FSN newsletter just what you want and need. You can drop us a note in the comment section on the blog or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can’t wait to hear from you!